Date Caramel

I discovered dates a few years ago after making granola and adding them in for some texture. Then 
I began using them in crusts, in my granola bars and with now just eat them out of the bag. In the fall, I use them to make a healthy caramel. Date caramel makes a yummy dip for apples, a delicious topping for plant based "ice cream" and it is delicious on top of my peanut butter bars.

There are many recipes for date caramel and I have tried many but I like when the dates are warm and they blend into the creamiest caramel possible! Here's what you need and what to do-

Ingredients:

1. Coconut milk  --I like the brand Native Forest.  I recommend leaving the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Save the solid cream for another recipe like peanut butter dip! Use the liquid part of the can for soaking the dates.

2. 15 dates --pitted.

3. 1/2 tablespoon of coconut sugar

4. Heaping tablespoon of cashew butter ---I like Artisan brand.

5. Splash of vanilla and pinch of salt.


Directions:

1. Add about 1/4 cup milk from a can of cold coconut milk to a small sauce pan.

2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar to the sauce pan.

3. Drop in 15 pitted pates to the sauce pan.

4. Simmer dates in milk and sugar for about 10 mins  on medium low to low.

5. In a blender ( I use my Nutribullet), add just the dates from the sauce pan (leave the sweet milk).

6. Add a heaping tablespoon of cashew butter. ( you could use almond)

7. Add about a tablespoon of the sweet milk from the pan.  (add more later if you desire a thinner date caramel).  Add in a bit of vanilla and a pinch of salt too!

8. Blend until the consistency you want is reached!


Keep in a container in fridge for a week!

Comments