Hummingbird Muffins (Gluten free and good for you!)


Hummingbird cake has always intrigued me---banana, pineapple and pecans in a cake-- together these sound delicious. I've read recently that this cake originates from Jamaica, first called the Doctor bird cake named for the island's bird: the scissors tail hummingbird. Brought to us from Jamaica, this cake is also popular in the Southern US.

When I made hummingbird cake, I loved it but I had issues digesting it because of the flour I used. Recently, I discovered baking with oat flour. It is more dense than all purpose flour but I personally love the flavor and the texture. And--it is filled with fiber so it helps the gut and allows me to not only enjoy the flavors but also how it makes me feel!

These muffins are humming bird cake inspired with a healthy take.

*I did make these muffins with eggs but you could use flax eggs! I haven't tried yet but have used in a similar muffin to this one.

Ingredients:

4 medium bananas

1 cup coconut sugar

2 organic/pasture raised eggs or you could try 2 flax eggs ( I have not tried yet)

1/3 cup coconut yogurt (could use dairy yogurt)

3/4 cup plant milk ( I used almond)

1/2 cup ghee (melted)

1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)


3 cups oat flour

3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup toasted pecans

2 cups fresh pineapple small chunks (use nut bag to squeeze all of the juice out--the pineapple chunks end of looking like about 1/2- 3/4 cup)


Directions:

1. Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl making sure to use room temperature eggs and warming the almond milk in pan or microwave so that all the wet ingredients are similar in temperature. Whisk to combine.

2. Add in the oat flour, b.powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans and stir gently to combine.

3. Then fold in the pineapple (of which the juice has been squeeze out). 

4. I like to add a few grains of rice to the bottom of each cupcake tin so that muffins cooks thoroughly, the rice absorbing an extra moisture. (this step is not required)

5. Place parchment cupcake holders in each cupcake tin--this recipe makes about a dozen and a half. Then fill the holders almost to the top.

6. Place in a 425 degree oven for 5 mins.  After five mins, turn oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 12 more mins (my oven is gas). Depending on your oven add or reduce time.  They are ready when a clean toothpick comes from the muffin.

7.  After making them, I place in the refrigerator at the end of the first day.  Reheat them when eating for about 10 sec in microwave!

Enjoy!

Your body will thank you for it!





 

Comments